tatting...

During this festival season I have encountered a new phrase for wombling or skip jumping... "tatting"...

This is the definition according to the urban dictionary...

Tatting : Also known as 'Dumpster Diving', Tatting is a form of recycling, most commonly performed in early morning or late at night, it is the practice of rooting through skips behind shops to see what usable stuff they have thrown away.
It is a surprisingly common practice, recently having an article devoted to it in The Sunday Times.

Tatting is also a 'traditional lace technique for handcrafting a particularly durable lace constructed by a series of knots and loops'.

I found this interesting, it is a similar technique that I use for my wire work pieces.

I love this new word, I do enjoy a spot of tatting, its amazing the stuff that people throw away. One man's rubbish is another man's treasure...

No comments:

Post a Comment